Bail Bond Confessions Blog

Uh Oh…

June 19, 2010
2 Comments

So it has been a month since my last bond.  That part is worrisome enough, though I have enough reserves to keep going a few more months.  However this morning I got a surprise phone call from the parents of THIS guy. Seems they took the family on vacation to the beach.  While they were there, the kid got himself in trouble again.  Two charges, 1) leaving the scene and 2) Petit Larceny.

I don’t have the details yet, but the parents were insistent that they want to revoke his bond and they have no intention of paying the $600 to bond him out from the jail at the beach.

Here is where it gets interesting.  You may recall that the mother and the grandmother are indemnitors on the bond. Well…the grandmother wants the kid to stay on bond and says her other daughter is willing to step in as an additional indemnitor.

This is one big hot mess and as long as the kid is at the beach, I can’t really do much of anything since he is out of my jurisdiction and no warrant has been issued yet.  I’ve consulted with an attorney and with my surety company and it seems that the correct path right now is to wait until Monday.   It looks like the Aunt has gone out to the beach to bond the kid out and the Grandmother assures me he will be staying with her.  On Monday, I’ll go down to the court and file paperwork telling the court that the kid has violated a condition of his bond.  I’m going to leave it up to the judge to decide (as if I have a choice!) whether or not to revoke the bond.  If he decides to revoke it, I think I will offer to re-bond him (assuming the judge sets a new bond amount) to the grandmother, thus pissing off the parents.  If he decides to revoke the bond and not set a new one, I come off fairly clean two both parties since I’m just doing my job and it is out of my hands.  If the judge decides not to revoke the bond, then I’m stuck with a mess on my hands since the parents want off bond.  I think I’m going to tell them that I won’t be able to let them off of indemnification unless I’m able to secure collateral.

Any advice or ideas is more than welcome…

-bbc

Advertisements

Crap day

March 12, 2010
Leave a Comment

I got a call from the big dog attorney.  He has a client in need and the money for the fee is in escrow held by the attorney. The bond hearing is in a few hours. I go out to the jail and catch not the big dog attorney, but one that is there in his place. The bond hearing just ended and the potential client was given a $35,000 bond.  Cash, Surety, or 10%.  Great. So much for that. The big dog attorney and I both agree there is no point in using a bondsman if they can post 10% of the bond with the county and in theory get that money back at the end of the case.

So then I drove 100 miles to a small town to serve a single paper. Got to the house without problem, but it was half abandoned. Waited for 3 hours and was told by a neighbor that they moved a bunch of stuff this morning and told him they would be back tomorrow for the last of it and to say good bye. I got on the road right at dinner time and fought some really bad thunderstorms to get home. Took 3 hours to drive 100 miles back!

I get to drop the kid at the parents tomorrow morning and do the drive all over again.

-bbc


%d bloggers like this: