Bail Bond Confessions Blog

Uh Oh… | June 19, 2010

So it has been a month since my last bond.  That part is worrisome enough, though I have enough reserves to keep going a few more months.  However this morning I got a surprise phone call from the parents of THIS guy. Seems they took the family on vacation to the beach.  While they were there, the kid got himself in trouble again.  Two charges, 1) leaving the scene and 2) Petit Larceny.

I don’t have the details yet, but the parents were insistent that they want to revoke his bond and they have no intention of paying the $600 to bond him out from the jail at the beach.

Here is where it gets interesting.  You may recall that the mother and the grandmother are indemnitors on the bond. Well…the grandmother wants the kid to stay on bond and says her other daughter is willing to step in as an additional indemnitor.

This is one big hot mess and as long as the kid is at the beach, I can’t really do much of anything since he is out of my jurisdiction and no warrant has been issued yet.  I’ve consulted with an attorney and with my surety company and it seems that the correct path right now is to wait until Monday.   It looks like the Aunt has gone out to the beach to bond the kid out and the Grandmother assures me he will be staying with her.  On Monday, I’ll go down to the court and file paperwork telling the court that the kid has violated a condition of his bond.  I’m going to leave it up to the judge to decide (as if I have a choice!) whether or not to revoke the bond.  If he decides to revoke it, I think I will offer to re-bond him (assuming the judge sets a new bond amount) to the grandmother, thus pissing off the parents.  If he decides to revoke the bond and not set a new one, I come off fairly clean two both parties since I’m just doing my job and it is out of my hands.  If the judge decides not to revoke the bond, then I’m stuck with a mess on my hands since the parents want off bond.  I think I’m going to tell them that I won’t be able to let them off of indemnification unless I’m able to secure collateral.

Any advice or ideas is more than welcome…




  1. This might be too late for you, but Bail Bonds are Revocable may be helpful to your client.

    Personally, we try not to revoke bonds. Defendants don’t take kindly to it. The clear exception: is the guy a flight risk? If the indemnitor insists, they need to put in writing that they do not want their premium back (which you may be required to give them if you surrend the defendant) and they need to be responsible for any fees incurred in surrendering him.

    Even if the defendant bails out again, he may be so dissatisfied with you that he goes with another bondsman.

    Finally (or maybe even firstly), your state’s laws may be different from California bail law. I would check with your surety before making any moves. Most sureties are great about assisting.

    Let us know how it goes.

    Comment by Tonya Page — June 26, 2010 @ 10:32 am

  2. When business is slow for me, I do all the networking I can do. I try to go to 3 or 4 networking events a month. It has really paid off for my business. I get a lot of professional clientele that know the importance of business loyalty and only use my service no matter what the competition charge.

    Comment by Ms. Bail (Kingdom Bail Bonding Inc.) — July 6, 2010 @ 1:22 pm

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: